A student may pass a specially prepared challenge examination and receive credit for a CCI course in lieu of taking the actual course if:
- they have not obtained a passing or failing grade for that course (either by taking the course or via a prior credit by exam) at UNCC; and
- they can present an acceptable justification for their request.
The college will consider one of the following reasons for approval to take a Credit by Exam (CBE) as an alternative for a course:
- the student has relevant personal experience on the topics in the course;
- the student has relevant professional experience on the topics in the course;
- the student has taken a similar course at another institution.
Starting from Spring 2021, CBEs will be offered at most 4 times per year:
- In August, prior to the start of Fall semester
- Students must request the CBE exam by August 1
- In October, prior to Spring registration deadlines
- Students must request the CBE exam by October 1
- In January, prior to the start of Spring semester
- Students must request the CBE exam by December 15
- In March, prior Summer / Fall registration deadlines
- Students must request the CBE exam by March 1
Instructions for students
Step 1: Fill out this Google form with information about yourself and the course you are requesting a CBE for.
Step 2: The department or unit that the course belongs to will approve / reject your request within 5 business days of receiving it.
Step 3: If your request is approved, a pre-filled UNCC CBE form with your information and the Department Chair / Program Director’s signature will be sent to you via DocuSign (go to the DocuSign page, enter your UNCC email address, click on the Continue button and enter your NinerNet credentials when prompted). Follow Steps 4 and 5 to complete the form.
Step 4: Pay $15 at the Marketplace (link is on CBE form). Select “other” for “reason for payment”. In the comments section state “Credit by Exam”. This fee is non-refundable. An e-receipt will be sent to your UNCC email account.
Step 5: Complete the DocuSign request you receive by attaching your payment receipt and adding your signature to the form. This step must be completed at least 5 days prior to the date of the CBE.
Step 6: The form will be routed to the instructor administering the CBE and you will receive more specific instructions on when and how to take the actual exam.
Step 7: Take the exam, as per instructions provided to you.
Step 8: The instructor will record your grade on the CBE form. If you pass the exam, the completed form, along with your Exam Grade, will be sent to the Registrar’s Office.