Degree Institution: Iowa State University
Degree: Ph.D., Genetics
Year Graduated: 2006
Dr. Jessica Schlueter received her B.S. from Texas A&M University in 2000 and her Ph.D. in Genetics from Iowa State University in 2006 under the guidance of Dr. Randy Shoemaker, USDA-ARS-CICGR. She subsequently did a post-doc at Purdue University before joining the Department of Bioinformatics and Genomics at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte in August 2009. Dr. Schlueter's current research interests are in understanding the processes and consequences, both structural and functional of genome duplication, or polyploidy, in plants. Polyploidy in plants is extremely widespread however the functional effects of this on the biological processes of a plant are not well understood. Previous and on-going analyses are computationally mining the soybean genome to identify conserved duplicated blocks of genes within the genome. This lab is working to characterize these regions to study the functional consequences of genome duplication. This involves the development and analysis of large-scale expression data.
- Mamidi, S., R.K. Lee, J. Terpstra, Lavin, M. Cheung, F., Town, C.D., Schlueter, J.A., Dixon, P., Shoemaker, R.C. and P.E. McClean. 2009. Whole genome duplication and the evolutionary divergence of legumes. Molecular Biology and Evolution, in press.
- Joseph, B., Schlueter, J.A., Du, J., Graham, M.A., Ma, J and R.C. Shoemaker. 2009. Retrotransposons in the intergenic regions of syntenic regions in soybean and Medicago truncatula. The Plant Genome, in press.
- Ramasamy, P., Menz, M.A., Metha, P.J., Katile, S., Gutierrez, R.L., Klein, R.R., Klein, P.E., Prom, L.K., Schlueter, J.A., Rooney, W.L., and Magill, C.W. 2009. Moelcular mapping of cgi, a gene for resistance to anthracnose (Collectotrichum sublineolum) in sorghum. Eyphytica, 165: 597-606.
- Zhang, C., Mallery, E.L., Huang, S., Fan, Y., Schlueter, J.A., Staiger, C.J, and Szymanski, D.B. 2008. The Arabidopsis SCAR gene family: unequal redundancy and ARP2/3-activation thresholds control shoot morphogenesis. Plant Cell, 10.1105/TPC.107.055350.
- Schlueter, J.A., J.L. Goicoechea, K. Collura, N. Gill, J-Y. Lin, Y. Yu, D. Kudrna, A. Zuccolo, C.E. Vallejos, M. Munoz-Torres, M.W. Blair, J. Tohme, J. Tomkins, P. McClean, R.A. Wing and S.A. Jackson. 2008. A BAC-based physical map of Phaseolus vulgaris, Tropical Plant Biology, 10.1007/s12042-007-9003-9.
- Schlueter, J.A., B.E. Scheffler, S.A. Jackson and R.C. Shoemaker. 2008. Fractionation of a genomic region containing tandemly duplicated genes across Glycine max, Medicago truncatula and Arabidopsis thaliana. J. of Heredity, doi:10.1093/jhered/esn010.
- Schlueter, J.A., J-Y Lin, S.D. Schlueter, I.F. Vasylenko-Sanders, S. Deshpande, J. Yi, M. Siegfried, B.A. Roe, R.T. Nelson, B.E. Scheffler, S.A. Jackson and R.C. Shoemaker. 2007. Genome duplication in soybean and the implications for whole genome sequencing. BMC Genomics 8:330.
- Schlueter, J.A., B.E. Scheffler, B.A. Roe, S.D. Schlueter and R.C. Shoemaker. 2007. The FAD2 family of soybean: insights into the structural and functional divergence of a paleopolyploid genome. The Plant Genome, a Suppl. To Crop Sci. 47: 14-26.
- Schlueter, J.A., B.E. Scheffler, S.D. Schlueter and R.C. Shoemaker. 2006. Sequence conservation of homeologous BACs and expression of homeologous genes in soybean (Glycine max L Merr) Genetics, 174(2): 1017-1028.
- Shoemaker, R.C., Schlueter J.A., and Doyle, J.J., 2006 Paleopolyploidy and gene duplication in soybean and other legumes. Current Opinions in Plant Biology, 9: 104-109.
- Pfeil, B.E., Schlueter, J.A., Shoemaker, R.C. and J.J. Doyle. 2005. Placing paleopolyploidy in relation to taxon divergence: a phylogenetic analysis in legumes using 39 gene families. Systematic Biology 54: 441-454.
- Schlueter, J.A., P. Dixon, C. Granger, D. Grant, L. Clark, J.J. Doyle and R.C. Shoemaker. 2004. Mining EST databases to resolve evolutionary events in major crop species. Genome, 47: 868-876.