The Graduate Certificate in DSBA is open to all students who hold a B.S. or M.S. degree in any scientific, engineering or business discipline and either are enrolled and in good standing in a graduate degree program at UNC Charlotte or complete their undergraduate degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA. In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are the minimum admissions requirements for the Graduate Certificate in Data Science and Business Analytics:
- Earned undergraduate degree in any scientific, engineering or business discipline or a closely related field
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above
- Statement of Purpose outlining the goals for pursuing a graduate education
- Minimum TOEFL score of 220 (computer-based), 557 (paper-based), or 83 (Internet based), or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 is required from any applicant whose native language is not English
In addition, the program requires:
- A current working knowledge of at least one higher-level (procedural) language; and a familiarity with computer applications.
- A minimal background in mathematics is also required, including two semesters of calculus and one semester of statistics.
Individuals who have worked at a high professional level in the computer industry or business may be able to substitute work experience for specific subject area admission requirements. Individuals without a business degree or business experience are required to complete an online business fundamentals course prior to enrolling in the program. Transfer credit from another institution is not accepted into this certificate program.
The Office of Graduate Admissions provides online admissions information supplemented by additional materials from the respective graduate departments. The website includes general information about the university, student services, international admissions, residency requirements, fees, financial aid, and procedures for admission to the university. The online application and information may be accessed here.
Applicants' completed applications with transcripts, payment, essay, and resume attachment are submitted online to the Office of Graduate Admissions. The Office of Graduate Admissions holds all materials until each required component is received. Once all required materials are submitted to The Office of Graduate Admissions the application will then be processed. The Program Director, and the Admission Committee, will evaluate applications for admissions. The Program Director will communicate to the Office of Graduate Admissions its recommendation. UNC Charlotte will then notify the applicant of their admission decision by an official letter, sent online, to the applicant from the Dean of the Graduate School.
Priority Admission deadline is:
- Spring 2015: October 1st, 2014
Fall 2015: April 1st, 2015
You are strongly encouraged to submit your online application and supporting materials early. Applications received after the priority admission deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis.
Applicants may monitor the status of their application by accessing their file via the application website where any outstanding components of the application are cited, dates of receipt are noted, and the file disposition is available to the applicant; any additional questions about application status can be directed to the Office of Graduate Admissions. The Admissions Committee consists of program faculty who are responsible for reviewing, evaluating, and scoring the applications. The admissions scoring equation consists of the following components:
- undergraduate preparation including GPA,
- statement of purpose,
- and relevant volunteer and professional experience.