Admission Requirements for M.S. in Bioinformatics Program:
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are required for study toward a Master's of Science in Bioinformatics: Under most circumstances, students admitted to the program will have:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or another related field that provides a sound background in life sciences, computing, or both.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) and 3.0 in the major.
- A minimum combined score of 300 (new GRE format) or 1000 (old GRE format) on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE, and acceptable scores on the analytical and discipline-specific sections of the GRE. *GRE waiver for applicants with a 3.2 GPA from an accredited United States Institution or indicated on a foreign credential evaluation. *Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the GRE requirement is waived for all Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 applications.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose
**For International Applicants**
- An English language proficiency score (TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo) is required if the previous degree was from a country where English is not the common language.
- A Foreign credential evaluation is not required, but recommended.
- In order to allow time to arrange travel and travel documents, the suggested application deadlines for international students are March 1st (Fall) and October 1st (Spring).
GRE Waiver Policies
*Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the GRE requirement is waived for all Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 applications.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.2 and above from a nationally accredited college or university in the United States.
- Have a relevant master's degree or terminal degree from a nationally accredited college of university in the United States.
- International students who provide a transcript evaluation that indicates a United States college or university equivalency GPA of 3.2 or higher. This evaluation must be completed by any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation.
- Have successfully completed the Bioinformatics Applications Certificate or the Bioinformatics Technology Certificate.